Friday, May 27, 2011

Current WIP: Zora Cardigan

I've finally decided to try making my first adult sized cardigan.  My first real piece of clothing.  After making a ton of scarves, lots of hats and a few pairs of gloves and mittens, I decided it was time to branch out a bit.  I'm comfortable will all kinds of stitches, cables and lace but I am not comfortable piecing things together.  Finishing is really my downfall.  I definitely need practice.

So, we recently went to Webs for their tent sale.  Perfect timing!  I can get a whole sweater's worth of yarn for super cheap!  Yeah, right...   Instead, I find my way into the warehouse and absolutely fall in love with this:
I saw it and immediately fell in love with the color.  It's Valley Yarns Charlemont Kettle Dyed in the Navy colorway. Was it part of the tent sale?  No.  Was it even on sale?  No.  Oh well.  It's pretty and soft and I wanted it.  And it will make a perfect late summer night layering piece.

This purchase caused me to change my whole plan, though.  I was originally looking for worsted weight to make the February Lady sweater.  The Charlemont is fingering weight.  Hmmm...   I don't think I'm at the skill level yet to accurately convert a pattern like this into a different weight of yarn so I decided to start over and look for patterns made for fingering weight.

I eventually settled on this:
Image copyright Kristen Rengren from original pattern posted on Knitty

This is the Zora Cardigan from Knitty Winter 2009.    The pattern looks interesting enough to keep me interested (plain stockinette drives me batty) but not so complicated that I can't pick it up and work on it for short periods here and there.  I also liked that the original was worked in a slightly variegated yarn similar to the one I got so I think it will show the colors of the Charlemont really well.  I'm excited!

So far I've only got about 10 rows done.  I haven't even finished a whole repeat of the pattern yet but so far so good.  I think it's going to come out really nice. 

I'll post some in-progress photos once I've gotten a little further.

No comments:

Post a Comment